Friday, May 1, 2009

"Charred Actors" or "Characters"


Because he's a fire breathing Dragon, you see. Therein lies the humour. Comedy 101. Anyway...

Some conceptualizations of incidental characters based on Peter Gawrych's sketches, accompanied by my musings.

Elves: I loved Peter's drawing. There's basically nothing I'd change about it - this is just my take on it. I also like the idea of having only one elf model - it really sells the idea of slave labour sweat shops. Plus it makes our job easier in having to design fewer characters.
Cupid: I drew some inspiration from Baby Herman. Cupid is one of those perpetually youthful characters, but he's been around for a while so has built up a lot of life experience. He's seen his share of the world and developed a bitter cynasism as a result, as anyone would who spent a lot of time around happy couples. So the idea was an older man trapped in a baby's body. I tried allow the years to show on him.
Easter Bunny: I thought of him as a vacant junkie. Josh Huf's background of his home with the garage attached made me think he could possibly have set up a speed lab in there. And what better way to smuggle and distribute drugs than inside easter eggs - I mean, who would suspect? I tried to make him a spaced out, burnt out rabbit. Pfft, silly rabbit - tricks are for kids!
Tooth Fairy: Peter's drawing was great. I loved her attitude. But in the words of Eugene Struthers, I wanted to take it to a, "WHOLE... NUVA... LEVEL!" And who has more 'tude than Queen Latifah. So I based her face on a combination of QL, Diana Ross, Whitney Houston and Ella Fitzgerald. Get the diva status really up there.
Wang (tee hee): Was perfect. Didn't need or want to change a thing. Tweaked with the eyes a little to make them expressive. Happy with the simplicity of him.


So hopefully knock over some model sheets tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Geddit? Because it's a blog, you see. Anyway...

SEACREST OUT!

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment